Site Information

Adapters & Converters

Adapter or Converter?

Most of the time what you need for plugging in overseas is simply an adapter plug, not a converter. While it’s true that most countries outside of North America operate on 220/240 voltage, smartphones, tablets, cameras, and laptops are dual voltage and therefore capable of converting overseas voltage to the American standard of 110/120V (your power cord should indicate 120V to 240V). Converters are necessary when plugging in single voltage appliances like hair dryers. But avoid the extra expense and space required to pack a converter. Check with your hotel to see if they provide hair dryers, buy a dual-voltage hair dryer, or simply go without. For more on adapters click here.